Tuesday, May 15, 2012

3 Books a Week



3 Books a Week, I’m going to start posting, well a review I suppose, my personal opinion on just 3 books a week. Maybe this is just my way of confusing the issues and procrastinating the posting I really should be doing (Victory Day, Camping Royal Rangers, Russia, New House, etc.)
I realize that a lot of the books I may talk about are pretty famous, so you might have read them. But I am always surprised at the books people haven't heard of. I'll try to come up with good books you've never heard of...but if not, just pretend you've never seen them before ok? Even better, pretend I wrote them. Yeah that’s it.



The Secret Life of Bees, shows you how much a mothers care is truly needed, you won’t be able to tear yourself away, and wonder tragically, why the book ever ended on you. The book is about 14 year old Lily Owens who runs away from her abusive father with her only friend, Rosaleen, a black servant. Following the traces of her dead mother's belongings she searches for any last hope of knowing more about this woman. The haunting thing is that no matter how bad she wants her mother back, she, Lily, is believed to have killed her mother when she was 4 years old. How's that for trauma.
 The Secret Life of Bees also teaches you about standing up for yourself, and putting the past in the past. It is wonderfully written and easy to read. When I say wonderfully written, I am serious. *Like she captures the art of description perfectly (*and like, doesn’t you know, like, say like, like a lot. Or like at all)




A Separate Peace paints the terrible and horrifying friendships one sometimes has with "best" friends. That small pang of jealousy or feeling of being used by the other that can cause the whole friendship to fly in a spiral downward, bringing nothing but violence in its wake. I was glued to the story of Gene and Phineas, it was one of the few books I had to read for school and really enjoyed. It's easy reading but has enough passion and conflict in each thin piece of paper to break you down and having you running into the boy's boarding school in New England where the book takes place.

If you liked A Separate Peace, I believe there is a movie, or two. READ THE BOOK FIRST.




Tales from Outer Suburbia
Tan takes the art of decoupage and his own creative twist on drawing and sends it spinning through pages of story. He takes real life situations and displays them understandingly and beautifully. Eric, explains foreign exchange students in a bright and interesting way, and so honestly, I wonder if he himself had been one...
   His stories are interesting, and a nice change from dull classics.  Distant Rain is one of my favorites, very inspiring. Undertow is good too, in fact, what am I saying? They're all great! But Stick Figures, really weirds me out.... I guess that is partly what makes it so great. If you can find the meaning behind each story, you will LOVE Tales from Outer Suburbia, if you can't find the meaning, well, we will all pity you. At least you will still enjoy the pictures.  
*If you like Tales from Outer Suburbia I suggest also looking up the Arrival and better yet, The Rabbits.*


117. Tales from Outer Suburbia


123. Distant Rain




120. No Other Country

119. Grandpa's story

121. Fascinated and Captivated 


122. In our minds, until forever

118. You will love it, yes you will.






 Have you read any of these books, what did you think? I'd love to know!
And what are some of your favorite books?
Come on, don't leave me hanging!
No seriously, don’t. I thought we were all friends here.

*if you want to buy any of these, be a smart person, buy the used one for $0.01 (plus 3.99 shipping)

2 comments:

  1. Great choice of "A Separate Peace" which takes place at my high-school )))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way! That is really, really, cool. Man that's so cool...
      And thanks! It's one of my favorite books))

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

What do you have to say ABOUT THAT?