Saturday, May 5, 2012

365- Leo Tolstoy and his fantastic insights


 
   Tolstoy, and his fancy language dance around my head so, that even if I had the slightest access to the internet, I would not be able to post a thing I am so engrossed in his stories. I am roughly 425 pages through Anna Karenina and have not been bored, but for one moment when the philosophy was too much for my head.
   One could never get bored with Tolstoy's knack for putting you in the heads of all his characters. There is not a single one of them for which I wish to know more about. I only wish someday to write with such skill and insight for my characters; even the thoughts of the minutest peasant or countess are brightly detailed and emotionally arousing.
   I must say, Levin and Kitty are my favorite characters. So far I find such distaste for Anna and frustration with Vronsky, pity for Dolly, confusion with Oblonsky and contempt for Alexey Karenin, Tolstoy has swallowed me whole in this world of dramatic high society Russia. I am over joyed in the insight into the Russian mind as well, it seems to explain so much and yet still have me walking away with the same thoughts I have after talking with a Russian friend of mine, 'What on earth are they thinking? How does that make sense to them?' The only explanation is simply that they are Russian, and our two cultures prevent us from thinking similarly.
   It feels good to be reading a nice long book again; it truly does help your writing. You learn a new trick or style in every other chapter of a good story. And if the story is bad, don't worry you'll simply learn what not to do. I’ve read quite few good books recently and think I should compile a book list…for they are all worth reading and I think you would adore every one of them. What are some of your favorite books?


104.  Leo Tolstoy 




105. High Society Russia





Yeah, the form of writing in Anna Karenina is quite infectious and I couldn't help but attempt to write in a similar style...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

What do you have to say ABOUT THAT?